In November 2004 we started the journey to bring a baby home from China ... five years later, in October 2009, we met Isobel Pingqin.
Our little livewire known as Izzy.

Monday, November 16, 2009

Tuesday, November 10, 2009

Friday, November 6, 2009

And now we are home

Izzy will take another 2-3 weeks to fully recover. She also has to now become familiar with our house, although didn't have any trouble getting busy with some toys.

So close to home... but not yet

Izzy's first day in Australia, and first day of seven days in hospital with RSV bronchiolitis and pneumonia.

Leaving Shanghai

Our last hours in Shanghai, waiting in Qantas Club for our flight home.

Hospital - Day 7... and finally going home

We were told last night that depending on how Izzy did with her oxygen requirements overnight, we may come home today.

She must have known as she went the whole night without assisted oxygen and we came home at 2pm today.


There were a few other photos which were supposed to go on my blog prior to hospital, so they are coming now so I can complete the journey.

Wednesday, November 4, 2009

Hospital - Day 5

Izzy is starting to respond to her antibiotics. We trialled her today without oxygen - she may go back on it overnight when she is asleep. Paed confirmed it will take about 2 weeks for her to get over RSV bronchiolitis, hopefully the pneumonia and other bug will go sooner.

He wouldn't give me a definite answer on whether we would be staying in hospital for the two weeks, he just said we don't want to send her home too early.

I've now been living in a one room hotel room or hospital room for four weeks. Makes our shoebox house seem like a mansion!

Tuesday, November 3, 2009

Hospital - Day 4

Last night the doctors ruled out Swine and at lunchtime today they ruled out TB.

Izzy is now on a high amount of oxygen, having steriods for her lungs and several different antibiotics. She has RSV (bronchiolitis) and pneumonia. They think she also has another bug somewhere. We are still in isolation as bronchiolitis is contageous, however at least the doctors and nurses no longer come in covered up like we have the plague.

The paed told us today we will definitely not be going home before the weekend.

Monday, November 2, 2009

Still in hospital

Izzy is still in hospital in isolation. Not a lot of improvement, she is now on oxygen. I doubt we will be home before the weekend. Still waiting on more test results, and now trying to get more info from China regarding her vaccinations.

Sunday, November 1, 2009

Not the home coming we wanted

Izzy is still very sick. Our flight landed at 10.01am on Saturday morning and by noon she was admitted to Mona Vale Hospital. We are in isolation until all nasty diseases can be ruled out, however the paed has just visited and said it is bacterial pneumonia (unless she doesn't respond to the two different anti biotics they are giving her, in which case they will do more tests).

She is miserable and it isn't the welcome home we wanted to give her.

At this stage I'm staying with her at hospital for another 3 nights.